Located in Logansport, Amelio's on the River is a purveyor of fine Italian and American dining from the esteemed Paul Ulerick.
Photos and website designed by Particle Marketing
Amelio's on the River opened in 1871 and is located in Logansport, Indiana. Since then, it has been passed down to different owners over many generations. Truly a cornerstone of local history, this building even survived the Great Flood of 1913 and has a bronze plaque marking the height of the flood and date.
The restaurant was most recently purchased and renovated in 2015. Our large seating area can accommodate parties as large as 100 people for a variety of special occasions. We also have a private dining room available upon request for parties of 8 or less.
Come visit us for some of our world famous meatballs or stop in for a drink at our historic bar!
431 South 5th St.
Logansport, IN 46947
Kitchen closes 9pm daily
Ranch, Bleu Cheese, French, Honey Mustard, Poppy Seed, Thousand Island, Raspberry Vinaigrette, Italian, or Bella Toscana (seasonal)
All above sandwiches & burgers are served with Amelio’s fresh homemade chips (Substitute Fries or another side for $1.25)
Add 3 Fried Shrimp $4
All dinners are served with garlic bread & 2 sides of your choice:
Tossed Salad, Broccoli, Steamed Vegetables, Cole Slaw, Cottage Cheese, Green Beans, Baked Potato, Amelio’s Chips, French Fries, Beer Fries, Potato Wedges, or Sweet Potato Fries
All pasta dinners are served with a small salad and a side of garlic bread
$2.50 16oz/$4 25oz/$8 64oz
$5 16oz/$8 25oz/$16 64oz
A short history of Logansport & Amelio’s on the River
Logansport was settled circa 1826 and named for a half Shawnee solider named James Renick-Logan, better known as “Captain Logan” who served as a scout for U.S. forces in the surrounding area during the War of 1812.
Logansport was established as an Indian agency and trading post as the frontier moved westward. The Wabash River and Eel River merge in Logansport and made it a natural meeting point for the native Indians, trappers and settlers in the area or just passing through on the way further west. Logansport would go on to have a diverse transportation history. The Wabash & Erie Canal reached Logansport in 1837, contributing the “port” to Logansport’s name, as in “Logan’s port”. The Historic Michigan Road runs through town. Michigan Road was one of the first roads in Indiana. It runs from Madison, Indiana (South), to Michigan City, Indiana (North). Several different passenger and freight train routes also served Logansport. At one time 256 trains a day traveled through town. We were known as the “City of Bridges” in reference to our many railroad bridges.
Amelio’s has been part of the scene in Logansport since 1871 when it first opened as a saloon. Part of an Italian neighborhood close to the Wabash River, canal, highway & railroad, it has been a restaurant or bar in continuous since its founding.
The 1869 city directory contains a listing for John Mitchell at 39 Canal Street (the original address for Amelio’s). Two years later it listed Joseph Matt as the keeper of a saloon at that address. Matt operated the saloon until at least 1900. From that point through the mid-1920’s, Matt apparently leased the property to various individuals, who followed one another as operators of the saloon in rapid succession. In 1901 and 1902, for example, Louis Sewnig and his son ran the saloon. They advertised a selection of fine wines and liquors and declared oysters and clams as specialties. The next year the saloon was being run by John Cain.
From 1919 to 1933, the dates for Prohibition, the proprietors of the former saloon sold soft drinks instead of alcoholic beverages. In January 1924 Nicholas Amelio began operating the establishment as Nick’s Place. He purchased the bar in 1939. There’s a picture of the saloon at that time hanging by the entrance to the main bar today.
In 1958 Amelio’s son Francis, who had assumed ownership, renamed the restaurant and tavern Amelio’s. In 1982 Amelio’s sold the business to Ken Renkenberger. The following year Tom and Loretta Keplar purchased the tavern, which they continued to operate as Amelio’s until 2008 when Larry Isaacs took possession and renamed the tavern Amelio’s and Ike’s.
We purchased the historic bar and restaurant in January 2015, with big plans for the future. We have renamed the old bar once again, this time to “Amelio’s on the River”. It honors our history and reflects our long-time location here on the banks of the Wabash. An article from the Pharos-Tribune newspaper regarding the purchase proudly hangs in the main bar.
We are famous for our meatballs and steaks and have been for over 100 years, with fans from around the world. We intend on keeping it that way!
And lastly, don’t miss the bronze plaque inside the tavern that indicates the high-water mark from the Great Flood of 1913. It will take more than that to stop Amelio’s!
Thanks for stopping by Amelio’s. You won’t be disappointed!
Paul & Deborah Ulerick
Proprietors, Amelio’s on the River